Thursday, November 11, 2010

Crazy for Coconut Bread!






Well, I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I have a hard time with not eating bread, considering its convenience when I'm trying to feed the kids in a hurry.

I found a few different recipes for coconut bread, but most called for baking powder or soda, or had added sugar or honey (which I have heard you aren't supposed to heat past a certain temperature)  So, I combined them to make this coconut bread that my kids went crazy over.  I mean literally, I couldn't get them to stop eating it.  I kept telling them they were going to spoil their dinner, but had to step back and remind myself of the ingredients and that this was actually good for them with its heavy dose of protein and fiber.

Crazy for Coconut Bread

3/4 c.   Organic Coconut Flour (see my link for Paleo Cooking essentials to purchase some)
   6       medium or large brown eggs (got mine locally from Harvest Hill Farm)
   1       smashed organic banana (Trader Joes)
1/2 c.   Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (also on my link for Paleo Cooking essentials)
   1       grind of sea salt (optional)

Preheat Oven to 350.  In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs together.  Add smashed banana and whisk until combined with egg.  Add coconut flour, oil, grind of salt until all ingredients are combined.   Pour into greased loaf pan (I used a 5 x 9 in. glass loaf dish).  I used Kerrygold Irish butter to grease mine, but I think I will use coconut oil next time because the bread stuck in a few places.  Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.   30 minutes will keep it more moist and 40 minutes will produce a more dry crumbly bread.   Slice and serve warm plain or with honey, bananas, butter, or nut butter.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment