Sunday, November 21, 2010

ATTENTION: Calling All Crabcake Lovers!






Crabcakes are one my favorite things to order at a nice restaurant, but they are usually packed with all kinds of ingredients that don't really agree with my stomach, so I thought I would try to make a paleo version at home, using tuna, since that's what I had on hand.   I made tuna cakes in the past, but always used ingredients that I don't incorporate in my diet anymore, and therefore had to improvise.  They felt naked without some sort of sauce to drizzle on them, so I made a quick mustard sauce that worked well.  These did the trick for us, served them with a side of steamed veggies.

Cilantro Lime Tuna Cakes

2        cans tuna (or 2 small cooked tuna steaks, or 12 oz. lump crabmeat)
juice of 1 lime
1-2    cloves of garlic
1/4    cup organic onions finely chopped
1       tablespoon dried cilantro (or fresh if you have it, but you will need to use more)
2       brown eggs
2       tablespoons coconut flour
5       tablespoons organic extra virgin coconut oil -2 melted and 3 reserved for frying pan.
sea salt and pepper to taste

In a medium mixing bowl, combine tuna and lime juice, then add the garlic, onions, and cilantro.  In a separate bowl, gently whisk the 2 eggs.   Add the 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil to the tuna mixture, then mix in the coconut flour.  Add your salt and pepper now, if desired, then pour the eggs over the tuna mixture and stir with a fork until eggs are thoroughly incorporated with tuna.   In a medium skillet, heat remaining 3 tablespoons of coconut oil over medium heat.  While oil and skillet are heating, form tuna mixture into small cakes, about 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter and about 3/4 inch thick.  Now, these had a tendancy to pop, so I would recommend a splatter screen while frying them so you don't get a shot of hot oil in the eye.  Gently place cakes into skillet and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.  I used tongs to gently flip them, which helped to prevent them from falling apart.

Mustard Sauce

I didn't really measure this but I think I used about 3 tablespoons of organic brown mustard with about 3 tablespoons of full fat coconut milk and a tablespoon of raw honey.  Stir it up until they are all combined and smooth.  It should be a little bit runny so you can drizzle over the tuna cakes. 

I can't wait to make these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment